Before knowing how to become a graphics design expert, let us start by learning who is a graphic designer, and what do they do?
In everyday life, whether it is Mumbai or Paris, we can tell which brand is it even when the name is not written. Thank a graphic designer for this. Saw a beautiful package and bought it even though you didn’t want to? Blame a graphics designer for this. Creating eye candy comes with the job profile.
Graphic designers construct appealing visual designs for products, billboards, television, or any sellable product.
Pay is, generally, dependent upon position and experience of an individual.
What do the graphics designer do?
- Assess the needs of client
You HAVE to meet the clients to discuss what exactly they are looking for in the end product. A designer must inquire about the requirements of client like what should be the basic appearance, specific colors, intended audience. Knowing the audience of the product plays an important role. For example, if the product is kids oriented, more cartoon-ish approach can be taken.
P.S: You can skip through meeting the clients if you possess psychic abilities to learn what they want.
Don’t run to your computer and start drawing. Sit down, take a pen and paper, and scribble here and there. Some designers find it more comfortable to first make a rough idea on a paper and some to like to go digital directly. It is all up to you as long as you keep in mind the requirements of client. Effective strategy should be developed in designing to make the product appealing to general public.
- Work, Work, Work
Got a rough idea? Use all your creativity to generate a master piece. Designers use various ideas of constructive use of color, fonts, and illustrations to create Professional designs by making use of design software’s such as Photoshop and Illustrator. Graphic designers generally work in a team on a project.
Now that you have a rough idea of what a designer do, let us dive you into the knowledge of how to become one.
How to be a graphics designer
- Designing is an art which can be learned. It is not something which is innate and what better time is to start than school. If you are still in school, it’s time to register yourself to art class.
- You DON’T need a postgraduate degree or even an undergraduate. That doesn’t imply that you shouldn’t get one. One of the many perks of having a degree is meeting a lot of people with similar interest. You can meet many designers and learn from dedicated professors. However, many great designers never went to design school and made their way through learning from books, working with experienced designers and they kept PRACTICING.
- Look for design schools which can offer you training in graphics-related computer technology. There are many in Dadar to Andheri in Mumbai and you can even directly contact them to enroll yourself. They might need samples of your work.
- Freelancing is the way to go. Work with as many people as possible. Not only will this build your confidence and skills but also your resume.
- You can learn a lot through internet. There is an insane amount of information available out there. Just be ready to grab it. Sites like tutsplus can give you a great head start.
This article is brought to you by Jimmy Thakkar (http://www.jimmythakkar.com/graphics-design.html)